Friday, March 25, 2016

A Few Comments and a Classic Game

Almost two months have passed since my last post and I apologize for that. I teach underprivileged children and the prep work and grading are far more time consuming than anticipated. However, there are times, such as today, when I have some time to write or post something, so here are some quick comments:

  • I'm already regretting not filling out my brackets for the NCAA Tournament, even though none of them would have been perfect. This is one of the better tournaments.
  • The 9-63 Philadelphia 76ers are the NBA Kings of the Cellar and have all but locked the door to the beer. If they lose out, the 76ers will tie their own record of futility at 9-73.
  • This year will be the 35th anniversary of the Louisiana Southernaires Drum and Bugle Corps' winning the 1981 Drum Corps International Class A Championship. The Southernaires are the only drum and bugle corps from Louisiana to have ever won a Drum Corps International World Championship at any level.
  • Sooner or later, I'll publish my 5th book, Second Chance. The story has no relation to the TV series. Besides, I came up with the title first in 2010. I'm waiting on my last beta reader to finish. The story is about a middle-aged man who lives in the past and would give anything if he could go back to his youth and fix the biggest mistake of his life. He gets his second chance, but will he succeed?
  • I've been watching (off and on) the NFL Network's Path to the Draft. I used to be more into this series, but since the NFL Draft is one big crapshoot anyway, none of the prognostication matters. It's pure entertainment.
  • Speaking of football, I posted a YouTube video of an old New Orleans Saints game from 1977 on Facebook a while back, but when I talked to people about it, they said it never showed in their news feeds. I wanted to show younger people how good of a quarterback Archie Manning was, that he was better than both of his sons (Peyton and Eli have admitted this). In this game against the Dirty Birds, Archie was coming off an ankle injury that had not yet healed (which affected his speed) and he still shined. More on this in a bit.
  • Back to March Madness. Kansas and Villanova have punched their tickets to the Final Four. Congrats to both teams. I'll predict that North Carolina and Wisconsin will make it in. Then the top two will be Kansas and North Carolina, with Kansas winning it all. Since it's one big crapshoot at this point anyway, let's see what happens.
Okay, let's see some historic football. This past season, New Orleans Saints fans have complained how bad the defense was and that the team isn't so good anymore. Here's a game from Week 10 in November of 1977. It's the Saints against the hated Atlanta Falcons. I do kind of miss the old Saints uniforms from that era. This is what Saints fans of old had to deal with, even though this was actually a very good game between the two teams. Gary Bender is the announcer and NFL HOFer Johnny Unitas is the color analyst in this game. Also, check out the commercials from then. You might recognize a few then unknown faces.  It's now time to click Publish and enhance my editing skills.

Enjoy the game and have a great Easter weekend!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment